Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Ketaki

I am Ketaki – the cursed flower, the eternally doomed one, the one who fell from grace. There had been a time when I had adorned the crown of Shiva, my Lord and the Lord of this entire universe. There had been a time when I had hobnobbed with the moon and the ever-gurgling Ganga. There had been a time when my purity, my whiteness, and my subtle yet tantalizing perfume (yes, my mother had told me that I resemble a narcissus in character and not a screw pine!) had a meaning. That was then – this is now. I am not a flower anymore. After being trampled upon by devotees and discarded by priests, after spending eons and eons in oblivion, I now clutch on the faintest ray of hope at salvation – a human life.

To tell my story, it had been a warm summer day when Shiva plucked me out of my verdant abode and tenderly placed me in his matted tresses. Coming to think of it, if he had not been so tender about it, if he had just pushed me into his locks a little more firmly, there would not have been any story to tell (sigh!). But let me get on with my story. It was on this ill-starred day that Brahma got up from his lotus seat, climbed on his swan, and thought of making an inventory of his creations!! After covering the 100 billion or so galaxies and countless stars and planets and our own little nondescript earth, he came to the gates of Vaikunt. There, blissfully unaware of Brahma’s tedious chore, Vishnu was taking a siesta on Adi Shesha’s lustrous coils.

Brahma opened the gates, a trifle jealous at the obvious luxury of Vaikunt and more than a trifle angry at Vishnu’s seeming arrogance. How can a lowly god sleep when the creator is awake and, more importantly, working!!! Vishnu of course had his own ideas on who is higher up the pecking order and stated so quite clearly once the fog of his sleep lifted. Their argument which started with just a few name-calling and magic-bandying soon became so passionate that the other gods and earthly mortals panicked. However, before anything untoward happened, good sense prevailed and they agreed to seek out my Lord and ask him to be the arbitrator of this power dispute.

Shiva, forever magnanimous, set them up with a curious but pretty impossible task. Whoever spots his head or toes first is the winner. He would be the bigger, better god. He would be the higher hen on the pecking order. Both Vishnu and Brahma agreed to the test. They started somewhere around Shiva’s hip and Brahma traversed upwards while Vishnu took a downward route. Oh! The poor fools! Little did they realize that my Lord has neither beginning nor end. He is eternity.

Perhaps a little bored with an unending view of the torso, Brahma tried a little diversion. He poked Shiva on his ribs. A little jab, a little laughter, a sudden jerk of the head, and the damage was done. I fell down from Shiva’s hair and that despicable Gravity did the rest. I floated down…down…down, right into Brahma’s arms.

“Oh, you are Ketaki,” said the conniving phony. “Lie for me once and I will make you as pure as the driven snow.” My vanity led me astray. I consented.

He proclaimed to Shiva and Vishnu that he has seen Shiva’s crown. I was the proof. He said he plucked me from Shiva’s hair. Such a liar! I didn’t utter a word. Such an idiot!

Of course nobody believed. Shiva cursed us both, him to timeless obscurity and me to an eternity of worthlessness.

I have a human birth now. But I am still vain, I am arrogant, I am weak, and I still lie. Salvation still seems to be an eternity away.


(I have shamelessly stolen this whole reincarnation idea from my friend, mentor, guru, Janaki, who will have no other choice but to forgive me!)

5 comments:

Ganges said...

Simply lovely, man...the words simply seem to flow unfettered...beautiful

sreedharan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
sreedharan said...

Super ROO. Well done.

The story is unknown to me so long.
Thanks to Janaki.

The way you explained it is superb.
The words flow quite freely.

GOOD. Keep it up.

Nitin Unni said...

Simply superb...wow !!! effortless prose. So when are you going to write a book ?

Janaki said...

I would have shamelessly used your expressions in the script had I read it earlier!!! So, hey, we’re even!
Food for thought – Brahma and Ketaki are the only originally good characters that were never offered absolution from the curse. Whoever it was that was feeding our minds with the mysticism of ‘God stories’ must have suddenly stopped writing, or worse, banished into oblivion himself.