Amrapali seldom saw beyond herself. She was the most valued asset of her nation, she was every man’s desire and every woman’s nightmare. All men craved for her, and she danced for the highest bidder – danced and did some more. She played with men’s lives and souls. She lived in her tightly woven cocoon of life and was not ready to step out – that was until Buddha’s path crossed hers.
We were practising hard for our dance drama on Amrapali, the famed courtesan of Vaishali – every poet’s dream and every philosopher’s victory. I just had a forgettable role in the whole dance drama – that of a stereotypical monk. I also had to double up as a maid-in-waiting for Amrapali (there was a clear dearth of forgettable dancers in our group). Although my role wasn’t as juicy as I wanted it to be, the whole enactment was brilliant and refreshing. We were exploring a little bit of the heroine’s psyche – an arrogant Amrapali, too sure of her worth, scheming to lure Buddha; a smitten Amrapali not quite knowing what there was in the saffron robe-clad monk that attracted her so; a bewildered Amrapali with her ever-increasing questions on life; a delirious Amrapali who saw Buddha everywhere; a surrendering Amrapali who gave up everything to claim nirvana – that holy grail for the soul.
When my whole five-minute bit practice session was over, I got back home, a question still rankling in my mind. Would I ever give up my comfortable cocoon for nirvana, just like Amrapali? Forsake the world as I know it and embrace a painless, lifeless existence? What is nirvana? Is it freedom from worries, freedom from sorrow, freedom from change, freedom from life? Would I ever step out of my concreteness for such a hard-to-define liberation?
All life is suffering. Change is suffering. Pleasure is transient. Thus spoke the enlightened Buddha. Attachment is the cause of misery. Detach yourself from the world and you will be free of suffering. Buddha charted out a gradual path of self-refinement to achieve that end. Once the suffering ends, you will attain nirvana. The four noble truths were thus born out of enlightenment.
If we could all enlighten ourselves, where would that lead the world? To human beings attuned towards higher happiness, where sensual craving gives way to monotonous bliss? To a perfectly staid society? To a lifetime of impeccable drabness?
I have built my cocoon with exquisite care. These are my walls of imperfection. This is my little niche in the vastness of an ever-changing world. My senses are my warp and weft. I lie, I cry, I suffer, I change, but those are my realities that I don’t want to trade – not for nirvana. I would rather live my life in all its transience. I decide. I don’t step out. I step back into my fortress, shut the gates, in a bungling attempt to keep myself safe.
6 days ago

9 comments:
I really like the flow that is a part of all your writing but this one gets a bit confusing towards the end...u want to experience it all...no nirvana thank you...but isnt that exactly the opposite of retreating and being safe?
The present u experence is Maya. It is subtle. Nirvana, Oblivion, the Heaven is the truth.
U are right. I also do not want to run away from the present life, however much it is dream like.
I feel that the way of ur writing should be a bit more simple, not this bombastic.
achu
my dear roopa, good to see that you are engaging with such deeply philosophical issues...at least we are not blindly trudging through life, but are engaging with it, questioning it...what ever might be our choices and its outcomes...were all of us so philosophical once, or are we becoming wiser..aah, i dunno
one can't even start comparing amrapali's life with one's own. so let us not try and arrive at a consensus at the choices made. the aim is to be happy and the choices are made. if your choice does not make you happy, what the heck, take responsibility for it and carry on
arch: it is a dilemma, i am not clear of it myself, hence the whole confusion towards the end. i don't want nirvana but stepping back into my material world might be a "bungling attempt" too. it might not keep me safe.
acha: i did not choose to be bombastic, i think it chose me :). especially helpful when we are talking about stuff which we are not clear of :).
ganga: wiser or not, some questions never get answered, at least to your satisfaction.
dee nut, i am not making comparisons here. happiness is a vague concept. the believer believes that nirvana gives you a higher happiness...do we pursue it?
:)
Very Interesting..I know what you mean...I went on a Buddhist Pilgrimage of sorts a couple of months ago and these were questions that racked my being as I drank of the peace which pervaded the places....
Good one, Roops.. was late seeing it. No, bliss is not monotonous or drab. It is the ultimate rush(for want of better description) and worth pursuing, doubtless. And change is wonderful, embrace it for all it is worth. With nirvana(a tricky word here, I am just using it as it is commonly misrepresented) the realization comes that every moment is a priceless gift and our senses awaken to a whole new level of awareness like never before. It is not staid or dull. Not my 2 cents worth - it is veritably The End of Sorrow - The Bhagavad Gita from Lord Krishna.
Rekha: As humans, we just ask and ask. Do we get answers? Or more apt, are we satisfied with the answers?
Raakhee: My point of contention is that it is not easy give up this world of senses. And unalloyed happiness - happiness without sorrow - do we really need it? if there is no sorrow, how can we enjoy happiness? Definitely we can thrash it out when we meet :)
I am in the process of writing a blog in response - there's just too much to write!!!!
Post a Comment