It was worth the wait. This overwhelming of senses was corroboration enough that my trip was worthwhile. I was standing at Yavapai Point of the Grand Canyon waiting for the sun to set. And beyond the ledge on which I stood, and beyond hundreds of tourists gathered around the breadth of the observation station, the canyon unfolded in all its timelessness. “As old as time” – that was the phrase that kept flitting to my mind. I was gazing at maybe a billion years of natural history. I was witnessing the power of nature that can etch a landmark so pristine in its starkness. It was enigmatically beautiful, yes. But what was arresting was the very austerity in its wilderness – earth brown as opposed to fecund green, chiseled layers as opposed to smooth contours. And then, the unimaginable size of it all. I was almost a proselyte – from confused monotheistic idolatry to primeval pantheism.
The jagged edges of the canyon rim were turning golden under the setting sun. Wind had picked up while we waited as the sun came inevitably closer to the horizon. I whimsically wished for wings while I pulled my jacket closer. I mused on inevitability – of Colorado River flowing on, of sun sets, of life, of time ticking away.
I felt a tug and looked down to see my 3-year-old prancing around.
“I want to pee pee, I want to pee pee,” she chanted.
“Can it wait?” I asked miserably; I already knew the answer.

“Noooooooooooo,” came the plaintive cry.
“Now walk fast. I don’t want to miss the sunset,” I said half dragging and half carrying her to the rest room I had spotted near the car park, which to my impatient mind seemed to take forever to reach.
“You are not happy with me.” She pouted on the way back.
I hugged her tight and explained to her that I am of course happy with her. I was only unhappy with the inevitability factor that seems to rule our lives. “The inevitability of your pee pee,” I said, snuggling her. “But let us hurry, the sun has not yet set,” I squinted at the golden glow in the horizon.
“Why sunset again again?” She was quizzical, as she burrowed her head deeper into my neck. She too resigned to the inevitability of her mom’s quirkiness.
And thus we watched the sun set – the canyons becoming golden, then red, then brown, and finally a rusty silhouette against a darkening sky. We went back to the hotel, unsated still, but somehow at peace.
The jagged edges of the canyon rim were turning golden under the setting sun. Wind had picked up while we waited as the sun came inevitably closer to the horizon. I whimsically wished for wings while I pulled my jacket closer. I mused on inevitability – of Colorado River flowing on, of sun sets, of life, of time ticking away.
I felt a tug and looked down to see my 3-year-old prancing around.
“I want to pee pee, I want to pee pee,” she chanted.
“Can it wait?” I asked miserably; I already knew the answer.

“Noooooooooooo,” came the plaintive cry.
“Now walk fast. I don’t want to miss the sunset,” I said half dragging and half carrying her to the rest room I had spotted near the car park, which to my impatient mind seemed to take forever to reach.
“You are not happy with me.” She pouted on the way back.
I hugged her tight and explained to her that I am of course happy with her. I was only unhappy with the inevitability factor that seems to rule our lives. “The inevitability of your pee pee,” I said, snuggling her. “But let us hurry, the sun has not yet set,” I squinted at the golden glow in the horizon.
“Why sunset again again?” She was quizzical, as she burrowed her head deeper into my neck. She too resigned to the inevitability of her mom’s quirkiness.
And thus we watched the sun set – the canyons becoming golden, then red, then brown, and finally a rusty silhouette against a darkening sky. We went back to the hotel, unsated still, but somehow at peace.
...........................................
Sunrise was at 5:15 AM. We reached Mather’s point at 5, a crispy morning, cold by my standards although my warm blanket of a husband termed it as pleasant. My three-year-old was up too and thanks to some curious turnaround in her mental makeup, she was actually keen to see the sunrise. Mather’s point was crowded. There were two bus loads of Japanese tourists and a convoy of Harley Davidsons, and of course a bunch of photography enthusiasts. Thanks to a Harley Davidson couple’s magnanimity and probably due to my daughter’s rather audible announcement that she can’t see anything, we were given a spot right at the edge of the safety railing.
“Mr. Sun, sun, Mr. Golden Sun, please shine down on me,” I sang my daughter’s favorite ditty under breath.
That was all the encouragement my little songbird needed to erupt into the full song.
“Mr. Sun, sun, Mr. Golden Sun, hiding behind the tree…” she echoed.
“Is the sun hiding behind the tree?” I asked her.
“No, behind the Grand Canyon.” She immediately chirped and broke out into a revised rendition “….Mr. Golden sun, hiding behind the Grand Canyon.” Everybody around us laughed, either politeness or actual amusement, while I silently blamed my husband’s genes for my daughter’s propensity for unrhythmic parodies.
A Japanese tourist beside me enquired whether we were from India. I prudently did not get into the nitty-gritty of the issue but just said yes. He beamed at me and spoke of Taj Mahal. The heaviness of his accent made it almost impossible to understand him, but the fervor in his voice was unmistakable. I nodded quite proudly.

The sun did start to rise at that time and an expectant hush fell on the crowd. We all watched another spellbinding show of sheer gold spreading over one of the most recognizable landscapes on earth, and many among us were speechless – except my little songbird of course who sang on uninterrupted.
The show over, we parted ways, the Harley Davidson couple with a wave and the Japanese tourist with a nod. We hung back for a little while more, memorizing, recapturing, reminiscing. I thought of Keats and his slavishness to beauty. I thought of Wordsworth and his emotions recollected in tranquility. I thought of the transcendentalists – Thoreau and Emerson. I thought I understood them more, standing there on the edge of a chasm so deep and so beauteous.
A thing of beauty is a joy forever – be it a Grecian urn, the Taj Mahal, or the Grand Canyon.

19 comments:
Yup, only Mother Nature can touch us so deeply, so profoundly...often, I feel I want to die when I am in some such place and become one with Nature.
You lucky girl you!! I was watching the sunset and the sunrise with you through your words. And I tell you it was simply awesome, your words and the scene.
Oh Great! Well narrated. the photos are apt and throws meaning to your narration. why dont you take up writing seriously.
good luck and best wishes
achu
Willkommen zurück! ;)
very cool. looks like you had a great time. i am in the process of writing about my trip here as well. awesome account of the canyon almost transcendental!
Ganga: I actually wanted to live more and see more, but i guess i understand what you are saying :)
Shail: Thank you. I give all credit to the scene and not the script.
Acha: (cough cough) i thought this was serious writing :) heh heh
K: Danke schon Herr. Ich fuhle mich gut too.
i don't know what is "too" in german - auch?? - well, that is the whole of my one-year nungambakkam max mueller bhavan for you :)
Janaki: am waiting to read about your trip too :)
Roopa, welcome back...Your piece has been well worth the wait!!!....
The thoughts, the prose, the imagery....just brilliant!!!!
hey roopa!! feels great to have you back!! pl tell me you did literature ... even related to someone who did literature will do...or i am dying of a an inferiority complex ;)
Rekz: Thank you :)
Arch: heh heh..i am an English literature postgrad and actually did it for the love of the language :)...even after all that, my writing is pretty nondescript!! i might just know a few more names (poets, transcendentalists, etc.)
that was beautiful ! i could see Mr.Golden Sun along with the lot of you. spell binding prose, roopa. a pleasure to read.....
arch, i TOTALLY agree with you... if you're dying of an inferiority complex, i'm in rigor mortis......
devi: i would have blushed beetroot red if not for this impossible complexion of mine, and if not for the slightest of suspicion crossing my mind that you are pulling my leg!
now that you have broken your silence to comment, why don't you put your writing skills (which are substantial) to a more purposeful end?? write something yourself? we are all waiting :)
There is something about that reddish rock against the orange light of the setting sun - the shades that play are quite incredible. I think it really provokes your imagination and awe of things bigger and beyond. If you have been to Pondicherry: the sand along most of the ECR (the ravines of Pondicheery University campus particularly) is reddish brown and it really looks terrific with such lighting. With some lush greenery it is just an amazing sight.
I quite enjoyed your description. I am the type that glides past description of places, nature etc in novels - just dont get touched usually, but your post was as incredible as the setting you were describing!
Thank you, Pathe.
You do have a poet's mind! How can you not like descriptions!! I haven't been to pondicherry, but I think I can visualize :)
Have you read Thomas Hardy? For him, nature was not a backdrop but an all-imposing persona! If you haven't tried him, just pick up any one of his novels. You might be transformed :)
By the way, I visited your blog, enjoyed your post, but left it uncommented because I had nothing worthwhile to comment :(
I guess I am one of the last to comment as always! This was just brilliant. The emotions are too well brought out. There is nature in all its glory and awe inspiring presence. And there are these niggling personal responsibilities. The juxtaposition is at once natural and so beautiful.
After long years i was so happy to hear about Henry David Thoreau and Emerson..Hmm i love to read Walden again..
They call it as the I shaped valley..an extended gorge..
i could feel nature's energy..That undercutting power of water.. making V-shaped valley flattening then to Us and widening them into canyons..
Thank you..
You ARE a serious writer.
take care
Dee: We always have such juxtapositions in life, don't we? mundane vs extraordinary, boring vs exciting, happy vs sad....
MIP: Thank you. You are a discerning reader and the appreciation means a lot to me. I haven't read the whole of Walden, we just had a chapter or two to study in our literature classes. I remember his thoughts appealing to me, not the writing though.
Post a Comment