Tuesday, August 19, 2008

A bug-bite and an itch

A bug with an inclination towards gastronomic snacking seems to have bitten me. This might have happened during our otherwise rather uneventful return trip from the US. After coming back, there has been this persistent itch which I diagnosed as an overwhelming desire to cook and eat. As nagging as it was, I decided to do something about it.

Now, let me make a confession here. I am a bad cook. Or I should rephrase and say that I am an apathic cook. With a terribly limited culinary expertise, my lunches do not go beyond unpretentious rice and sambar and my dinners are limited to unyielding chappathis and potatoes. Although what I cook is reasonably tolerated by my family – who might have no other choice in the matter – there is not even an ounce of creativity that might add more variety to my meals.

Faced with such a handicap, I turned to my better, plumper half who professes to be a better cook, for a second opinion on whether I should pursue this new yearning of mine. He said he would support me through thick and thin, wins and losses, triumphs and disasters. And thus we started cooking.

The first one – a potato “bonda” – was a success beyond even my wildest imagination. The phone bill might bear the brunt of a painstaking tutorial from our mothers, but our congratulatory smiles were intact on our faces. M, who still cherishes a nostalgia for Bombay streets, got burger buns and made “vada paav.” We celebrated.

Our next attempt was a more ambitious fish cutlet. M took the reins this time, while I was relegated to making oval patties, which he criticized lavishly for their lack of evenness. The fish cutlets were excellent, and if I did not like tuna all that much, I did not bring the matter up. We rode the wave of success one more time.

Our next project was an even more complicated “murukku.” For one, the dough cannot be too hard or too soft. Two, the circular shape of the murukku is almost impossible to achieve with a cookie press that weighs a ton. Of course, the hard job of making the precise circular shapes went to my dexterous husband while I took on the less strenuous but equally sweaty job of frying them. The murukku came out well too. Three hits in a row.

Needless to say, our beginners’ luck was about to give way.

The next weekend was set apart for “uzhunnu vada” – medu vada or urad dal vada or black gram dal vada according to the language spoken. Heeding the warning that the dough should not be too runny, we set to work. Our mixer/blender has a disinclination to grind without water, and with the confidence of a veteran, I said we could add a modicum of water. And so, the water went in. The batter was smooth. I asked M to watch and learn while I wetted my hands, deftly took some batter on to my left hand, pressed a hole in the center and tried to put the dough ball into the hot oil. I knew something was wrong that instant. The dough, with a surprising doggedness, just clung to my hand, a gooey mess. M snickered. It was too runny, we deciphered. I had an immediate solution to it – add rice powder. We added and added, and added some more. Finally, the consistency was just right and I congratulated myself. We fried our vadas golden brown. And then we sat down to eat.

The vadas were, quite explicably, rock hard. I ate one, commented on the suspiciousness of the texture, while M, with more resoluteness, managed to eat about three or four. A little dent in our record, our spirits were undaunted still.

As providence would have it, M brought home a huge packet of cashew nuts last Friday. It struck our minds almost simultaneously that we could make “kaju katli.” With the groundwork completed, we set about measuring the ingredients and faced our first hurdle. Our measuring cup measured less exotic items such as rice and sugar and flour but not cashews. Mom had cautioned us against guessing. We should have listened.

The sugar syrup was our next hurdle. The instruction was to boil the sugar in water until we got a thread-like consistency. Thin or thick thread? M asked. I did not know. While the syrup boiled, M expounded on the hygroscopic quality of sugar and the existence of a Brix value that measured — well, something. He was just showing off. I said I will hurl a brick at him if he did not shut up.

The syrup boiled and boiled and had almost recrystallized by then. We tried mixing in the powdered cashew. It just became a lumpy mess. We should add more water, I impulsively decided and poured some. What was once lumpy now became watery. We quite predictably panicked. We added more cashew, more sugar, tripled the existing quantity – finally, when we realized that our kitchen was becoming unrecognizable in a deluge of powdered cashew and sugar, we gave up our salvage attempts. We decided to call it our very own cashew fudge. A fiasco of unmitigated proportions.

Our fudge is still inside our fridge waiting for reprieve. We still nibble at it now and then and console ourselves that it tastes good.

The bug-bite might finally be losing its itch.

16 comments:

Unknown said...

Funny, Roops...I can empathize. Maybe it is better to drop our creative attempts at playing chef. I say 'our' because I have no inclination to slogging it out in the kitchen either. It's a good thing our spouses are handier with the spices, isn't it?

Anonymous said...

you are struggling to finish fudge made of cashews and sugar?
wait till nitin reads this!

Gingerbread & Me said...

LOLs....I had a similar sticky batter experience with Medhu vada last Diwali...And ended up with Vadas without the hole which were highly palatable though...My MIL later mentioned that I should have shaped and punched the batter on a plastic sheet/cover!!!
But you know what you can do with your fudge? Get some ice cream and sprinkle crushed fudge all over it!!!...:D :D :D :D

man in painting said...

LOL!
that was a cool post..
best wishes for all your future experiments!
do you like cartoons..
i have posted one from my college note book..

Anonymous said...

Beginners' Luck. Bunkum. Mendis, the Srilankan spinner goes on and on without luck diminishing.If you are good nothing will go wrong. I don't mean that you are not good.

Very well brought out whatever you wanted to say. Nice work

achu

Roopa said...

Raakhee: It is indeed a good thing. Well, the cook is back today and so at least I have one more pair of hands in case the itch comes back :).

Suvarana: Yep, it does taste good. Although for me, the texture matters as much.

Moggie mom: That is indeed quite an innovative idea. Should try it :).

MIP: Don't tell me you draw too!! I will check your blog. I love cartoons.

Acha: Your cricket craze is legendary. you have got a point though - when will Mendis lose his beginner's luck???

Ganges said...

that was funny indeed!

Anonymous said...

Aww... this is so much fun!! I feel like starting all over again!! :D
My m-i-l adds a little, verrrry little, maida to the batter if it tend to run and the vadas come out puurrrfect. As for the crystallised kaju katli, you people should have just left it alone and eaten it that way. Once my mother made rava laddus and as luck would have it it wouldn't roll into balls. It looked like little pieces of rock salt. When I took it to my hostel where the rava laddus from my home were a big hit, this became even more of a hit. "Lets go to Shail's room and have some of that rock salt!!" was the refrain!! :-))))

Rakesh said...

hey nice post :-)

Roopa said...

Ganga: It wasn't very funny when I had cashew powder sticking on to my hair :D!!

Shail: Gimme your number!!! I am definitely going to call you in my hour of need :)

Rakesh: Thank you for visiting.

Anonymous said...

The phone bill might bear the brunt of a painstaking tutorial from our mothers...Hilarious post!!!
I always say its all in the name! So heres one word of advise - always name the dish AFTER you cook it. Frinstance if you called that, ummm say, TatooFries - "a gold crusted light snack made from a batter of carefully picked lentil and rice fried lightly and garnished with baby ginger, laced with pepper. Served with a spicy traditional indian chutney" That way, it suddenly wont matter if it didnt taste like Medu Vada!
All you;ll hear is .."Wah Wah!! its different..its tasty!! can i have the recipe too!?"

Roopa said...

Pathe: As usual, your comments are so good they merit a blog entry of their own :). Funny why i never thought of tattoofries, i sure had all the ingredients right ;)

Anonymous said...

Ty, Ty. You always manage to make me feel tall on your blog! And so I am gonna add a bit of it to mine and call it in a BlogRoll. And no its not something i cooked!!:P

Roopa said...

Pathe: Thank you for blogrolling me. I think that gives me enough authority to blogroll you too :)

Anonymous said...

by all means... btw, a comment @ your comment to my earlier comment: I stole the thought from my own post:p

Salil said...

Hi Roopa:
For 32 years of my life I did not cook. Till then, I just ate. I did not even butter my bread since I considered that cooking. However, cooking is now one of my biggest activities (for survival though and is limited to a few items).
But just in case, I happen to visit you ever, I would do with biscuits and cakes bought from the local bakery and dont bother to 'cook' any potato bonda, murukku, uzhunnu vada, fish cutlet or kaju katli (KAJU KATLI??!! somebody is real ambitious!).
Cheers,
Salil