Saturday, October 18, 2008

Things that fall apart

Everything around me is broken, torn, bent, rent, shaggy, sloppy, unkempt, muddled, messy, dirty, overgrown, dried, dusty, rusty, loose, falling, leaking, shaking, crooked, withered, or old.

My computer table definitely shows symptoms of confirmed Parkinsonism. My laptop has senile dementia. My headset squeaks and my mouse has a mind of its own. My webcam has warning signs of hyperopic astigmatism. My internet connectivity is capricious, to say the least. My toner is always dry. My chair goes down whenever I sit on it – perhaps something to do with my weight, but I would rather blame the chair. A jumble of wires at my feet lies open like spilled guts and leads to nowhere in particular.

If I take a walk around my room, I see a DVD player that does not work, a defunct TV antenna that attracts static, a dozen pens that have run out of ink, a book rack that is overburdened, a dustbin that does not close, a fan that undoubtedly suffers from an acute bout of borborygmus, and at least two burnt-out bulbs.

My bathroom does not have a shower curtain. The flush makes banshee noises, scaring the bejesus out of whosoever has the temerity of touching the lever. The hand shower socket is loose and can leave an indelible mark on your head at any time. The washbasin gets clogged. The door only closes with a bang.

I step out of my room to see a digital clock that always runs 10 minutes slow. The last time I tried to correct it, its alarm started ringing at 2 AM for seven days in a row for no perceivable reason, each time adeptly clearing the cobwebs of sleep from my head. My mobile phone is carelessly thrown on the sofa where it gives desperate beeps of low charge. I shrug at its erraticism. I look out on to the balcony and see a withered curry leaf plant, my foliaceous elixir, threatening to die out on me.

My kitchen tap requires two grease-free hands to open it. The flex box fumes and sputters when there are more than two appliances connected to it. My fridge sounds like faraway thunder, not catastrophic but still threatening. My kitchen stove smells of gas and I am convinced there is a leak although the gas company vouches that it is safe. I run my hand through snack jars that do not close properly, a fruit basket that is falling apart, an oil dispenser that is too sticky, and kitchen cabinets that cannot remain open or closed.

I walk back and I catch myself on the dining room mirror. I see the light from the hanging lamps glinting off my fine gray hairs. There are blatantly perceptible crow’s feet around my eyes. And a new, perhaps not yet immediately noticeable, kyphotic stoop to my shoulders. I try to hold myself straighter.

“Can we dance, amma?” My 4-year-old asks, much to my surprise. My diligent readers might remember my daughter’s lack of fascination for anything that requires rhythm.

“To what song?” I ask.

“Mamma mia.” She replies without even a thought.

I walk quickly past my lethargic clock, my finally silent cell phone, I bang my bathroom door to shut out the shriek, I bend down and manually close the lid of the dustbin, walk past the burping fan to my demented laptop, kick away all the wires, and open iTunes. At least some things work.

And when we jump and dance and laugh, I almost do not notice the arthritic creaking of my left knee.

23 comments:

Gingerbread & Me said...

Lovely Piece!!!
I think all of us go through these spells......

Ganges said...

well written, as usual :)

Unknown said...

Nice, Roopsie, though I need the dictionary to decipher this one completely. Maybe you should provide pop-ups for the meanings for us less literarily-inclined:).
Re: falling apart - I thought I was the only one acutely aware of the coming physical strains of over-the-hill stage.

Anonymous said...

I once had a neighbour who used to scrub and clean her house (even under the dining table!!) to keep it pristine all through the year. I would rather subscribe to this cute saying printed on a fridge magnet: 'Dust sampling in progress. Please do not disturb the samples'. :-)))

Nice post, but the technical terms of all the diseases requires some amount of Googling. Which I can't do right now, cos my dishwasher has conked, and I have to do the dishes.

So I'll just sign off with the words... 'same pinch'

;-)))

Roopa said...

miaow: can you imagine, no part of it is even exaggerated! things are falling apart!!

ganga: thank you.

raakhee: heh heh, for all the tedious medical stuff that i have to endure through every day, i just needed to show off :). i got a rapping from M too over this though. about falling apart, as you now know, me included :D.

wrtierzblock: where do i get hold of that fridge magnet?? borborygmus is the gurgles that you hear from your tummy :). just to show-off..sorry :). kyphosis to a layman is hump-back. hope that explains it :).

Janaki said...

sheesh! i empathize... i guess inanimate objects go on strike too!

Anonymous said...

beautiful post!
life is a mix of so many things...some make us restless and some make us restful.

Roopa said...

Janaki: oh yeah! and i didn't even mention my washing machine or water heater!

Dony: I vote for restful things around me :)

Roopa said...

Dony: Or rather things that would make me restful :D. English is a tough language!!

Arch said...

its nice to always have that one thing that can make everything else go away!!

Scribblers Inc said...

that is real splendid...I come across a "writer" on a blog after I dont know how long!!

respect
Scribblers Inc.

Anonymous said...

i liked this one a lot. and i know for sure that every bit of it is true. i look at my fallen chimney and my spot light at the wash basin and wonder when they will get set right again. almost wishing for things to get right by themselves.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that was quite a journey, through your home and also through the delightful prose!

Anonymous said...

Incredibly written post. Unfortunately, I notice one huge incoherence. For, not everythings falling apart. For, several facets of your sense of humour have come together to create this post! Fix your 'blender' and give us buttermilk, give us buttermilk!

Salil said...

Roopa,
An excellent post from you, as usual.
Everything around me is broken, torn, sloppy, ....... withered, or old. - I hope it does not include the animate objects in your house. Or does it?
Flush makes 'banshee' noises, scaring the 'bejesus' out of whosoever has the 'temerity' of touching - I did not know till now that co-authored the Oxford Dictionary!
Cheers,

Roopa said...

Dee: We need magic wands around.

Shail: Thank you. It is not very delightful having things coming apart. the latest one is the water dispenser! have to buy a new one now!!

Pathe: One sweet lassi coming your way...for your sweet words :)

Salil: The animate ones are getting older by geometric progression, especially the ones above 30!! about co-authoring, i would have been floating high up in the clouds if you were not pulling my leg so hard ;)

Nandakumar said...

Well written Roopa! We all live in this mad mad world where things do tend to fall apart. I tend to ignore things until these inanimate things really crave for our attention and put a stop to our routine life - an automatic Pareto.. :-)

Prasanthi Neeladaran said...

As always! Very well written!!!
I noticed you live in Indonesia. Is everything ok with the earthquakes etc? I hope you are far away from the commotion. TC

Roopa said...

Nanda: Ah Pareto! You have made me nostalgic about EPTs and control charts :-)

Prasanthi: Thank you so much. Yes, it does shake a bit. But we do live in shaking times, don't we? :)

Anonymous said...

Blogrolling u :-)

man in painting said...

Great post...those things are important but not vital..the vital part is ok..you are in perfect harmony..
that is the only thing matters..
take care
wishes..
MIP

Usha Pisharody said...

Ah! Now I know why I had to visit your blog!!! And why I believe in the concept of Collective Consciousness... lol! [Karl Jung, I think..:)]
Else you would not have known me at all, to have written about me, the way you do.. the only difference being that my boys are 20+, and you have a lovely 4 year old daughter, lol!

Loved the style of writing and the absolutely in the face humour, transmitted through the seriousness! You have a wonderful way with words, you do!!

Roopa said...

MIP: Thank you for so much of confidence in me :)

Usha: It is indeed a consolation to know there are people like me somewhere... Mostly, I know women who keep their homes as perfect as a picture! And thank you for your appreciation :)