Friday, December 26, 2008

Santa Was Here!!!

M: Lugging around a ten-ton Christmas tree is not my idea of fun.

R: It is good exercise. Set it in that corner. That is perfect.

M: You said that about the last corner too, before we shifted. A house shouldn’t have these many corners.

R: Now all we have to do is fix the branches and get the decorations all up.

M: Well, that is work for a whole day.

R: We have nothing better to do.

M: I have.

R: Now you don’t. Okay, let us get cracking.

M: A metal and plastic Christmas tree! Where is the fun in that!

R: At least we don’t have to feel guilty about cutting all those evergreens. Anyway we don’t have a choice here, do we? We don’t get natural firs here.

M: Maybe it is ordained that people in the tropics should not decorate Christmas trees because there are no firs.

R: Who ordained it?

M: God?

R: Well, you don’t believe in God, so you can’t use that argument.

M: Okay okay. It is just pain in you-know-where.

R: I very well know where, thank you. Just a few more branches and we are done.

M: Hmmm. About time.


************************************************

(Two hours, some bad mouthing, and a couple of band-aids later……)

S: Shall I help, shall I, shall I?

R: Of course, you can, dear. Just bring those decorations one by one and hang them anywhere you want.

S: The star day-co-wa-tions?

R: All of them, one by one.

S: Do you know, Nadia has a bigger tree.

R: Hmm hmm.

S: Do you know, she has lots of presents under the tree too.

R: Okay.

S: Will we have snow?

R: It doesn’t snow here San.

S: It does snow with a snow spray.

R: Oh okay.

S: I want a snow spray.

R: That foamy stuff might be dangerous.

S: It is not it is not. I saw Praniti touch it.

R: Oh okay.

M: We will get you one, don’t worry.

S: Goody.

M: There are enough decorations here to cover a 20-foot tree!

R: Don’t exaggerate. These are all from previous years’. We didn’t spend a penny this year.

S: I want to keep the star on top.

R: You can’t reach that high, darling.

S: Acha, lift me.

M: Here you go.

R: Now we have a crooked star.

M: Matches a crooked tree.

R: Now the lights.

M: There is about of a kilometer of that here.

R: Just twist it around the tree.

M: And he said, let there be light, and there was light.

R: There wasn’t. There is a loose connection.

M: It can be fixed. All in good time.


************************************************


(Days later, on Christmas Eve…)

R: Now that San has gone to sleep, let us start wrapping presents.

M: There is no “us.” You wrap, I watch TV.

R: There are at least 20 presents to wrap. We have a party to prepare for. If you don’t switch off the TV right now, the remote goes out of the window.

M: What is all the fuss about? Do you think those Magi wrapped their presents?

R: I don’t think their presents could have been wrapped. Frankincense? Myrrh? They don’t sound very wrapping friendly, do they?

M: Nor are these cups, bags, horribly shaped pens, odd-shaped chocolate boxes – and what is this? A silly-looking mirror? A dust bin? You are crazy!

R: Those are the prizes for games. Less questions, more work. These are your set of wrapping papers, bows, scotch tape, and scissors.

M: &%$#@%&*

R: What?

M: I didn’t say anything.

R: Do we need to wrap San’s bike?

M: You must be mad!

R: I just asked. At least some tassels and ribbons?

M: No. It looks beautiful as is.

R: Okay okay.

M: I don’t think men are genetically inclined to wrap gifts.

R: Get to work, will you? Don’t blame your DNA.
************************************************

(About an hour and more bad-mouthing later….)

R: It looks beautiful, doesn’t it?

M: It does.

R: I am leaving the balcony door a crack open.

M: Why?

R: Perhaps Santa Claus will come.

M: Hmmm, I think I can hear the jingles.

R: And look, there, beyond that faintest star, do you see a red glow? That might be Rudolph’s red nose.

M: Let us get to bed.

R: Yes, let us.

************************************************

(Christmas morning, bright and early)

S: (A delighted squeal) Yippie! Santa was here!

13 comments:

Rajesh said...

Wow!!! superb narration.. Creative!!

Santa was indeed there..

belated X Mas wishes

Ganges said...

my kids who take ages to warm up before reluctantly crawling out of bed, jumped, flipped and tumbled out of bed on X'mas morning screaming the same!

Gingerbread & Me said...

LOL, it does look beautiful...And the corner with the pink wall as the background is just purrfect!!!
The moggies approve!! LOL
And hey, here we use wads of recycle-able cotton wool for snow...:) :)
The post brought back memories of christmases of my childhood!!!

Roopa said...

Rajesh: Thank you. And Christmas wishes to you too..

Ganga: My one girl's antics felt like a deluge, so I can imagine the three of them :).

Miaow: The wall is pale yellow. I think the pink is due the light reflected off a red ball. Oh! we used cotton too. We had the recycled ones from previous years as well as new ones left over from the abscess adventure :D.

man in painting said...

LOL!
Happy X Mas!
take care
mip

Anonymous said...

the christmas tree really looked beautiful. the bike too. can't imagine how fast s is growing. i guess the only time christmas really was a big deal was in aluva with all those carol singing and crackers! And later on coupled with new year it meant sending lots of lots of greeting cards! but it really is a lovely time of the year.

Anonymous said...

One yelp of delight that makes it all worth it!

swetali said...

Simple and Cute :)
And just to think after all the effort you put in, Santa takes the credit. I shall clarify to my kids, when i have them, that son i m your Santa!

Roopa said...

Dee: Oh yes, I got nostalgic about all those past christmases too :).

Pathe: How true you are...

Swetali: And take that power of imagination away from them?? You wouldn't dare!

Arch said...

The tree looks awesome and the bike looks like any little girl's dream!! :)

Usha Pisharody said...

Never had it so fine... :)Lol!

LOVED this!!!

Salil said...

Roops,
Salil was here!!!
Belated christmas wishes to you and my sympathies to M.
Cheers,

Anonymous said...

Oh Roopa! How you make me laugh and giggle. Now I have a "feel good" place to go to whenever I need it. Thanks Thanks Thanks for sharing your world.