Friday, December 12, 2008

When things really came to a -- wherever

Things really came to a head a couple of weeks ago. Well, I think I should appropriately rephrase it as “things really came to a rump,” because to be precise, the unmentionable hindquarter is where things finally came to.

It all started with M coming down with a high fever, which adamantly refused to respond to the good old acetaminophen, coupled with a certain hesitancy to sit down and bear weight on the said hindquarters. When his walk also began to resemble that of a tired and maybe slightly inebriated penguin and my overused ear thermometer refused to record anything below 102ºF, I overrode his habitual denials and took him to a doctor. The diagnosis was quick enough – an abscess on the – ahem – aforementioned rump. The surgeon was consulted, and although we had a little heated debate about the location of the abscess – perianal vs perirectal – which might have led to a misconception on his part that I am medically enlightened and which made M’s eyes roll in impatience, he was unequivocal about the treatment required – an incision and drainage of the said abscess as soon as possible.

The next day saw us at the hospital at the wake of dawn, where an I&D was performed in under an hour and M was wheeled out sleeping like a baby, still knocked out after general anesthesia. The surgeon, still under the probable misconception of my medical prowess, rattled out a series of instructions to me on how to care for the wound, which in retrospect I should have paid more attention to, while I was more interested in squeezing M’s hand in a fit of connubial love.

That night, back at home, our first hurdle loomed before us, quite literally. We looked at the mountainous pile of dressing materials in front of us – surgical alcohol, Betadine, cotton swabs, alcohol wipes, gauze, surgical tape, cotton buds, a huge box of gloves – and all we needed to do was change the dressing. I assured M that I could do it with my eyes shut and that he was in good pair of hands. About ten minutes into the process, I sincerely began to wish that I had more than a pair of them – hands, I mean. Because, as a layman, you are simply not trained in your daily life to hold the Betadine-soaked gauze on a curved space, tear the surgical tape off an excessively adhesive roll, and tape it in place without any of your fingers, hair, or items of your clothing getting stuck in between, all with just two hands. M offered to help which ended with his fingers getting in the way too. Finally, after half an hour of intense effort, a Betadine-stained sheet, half a roll of surgical tape, a very sticky – ahem – rump, and really choice expletives, we managed to change the dressing. The battle was won, but the war was to last at least for another two weeks.

The rough edges did smoothen out with each passing day. Although there were still instances of taped butt cheeks or a glove getting stuck to the end of the tape, thus giving rise to many butt jokes and extremely hilarious moments (for me at least; M stoically offered most of the jokes), things that came to a rump were slowly receding, so to say. The wound was healing, in spite of my administrations, and that was a huge deal. The war is not yet won though. We still have things to worry about – a curious four-year-old who will stop at nothing to find out what “dressing change” her mom and dad are doing behind closed doors, a bacteria which does not look to be effectively annihilated, a thermometer that still shows erratic numbers, and a woozy head – mine – that still feels faint looking at a wound.

But yesterday, the surgeon commended my nursing skills. M says he just has a crush on me. I gloat, either way.

21 comments:

Ganges said...

Gosh Roopz, must be tough times for you folks! You take care...loved the last line...a typical hubby line...

swetali said...

I just love teh intricacy in description, the medico-technicalities and the choice of words (say hindquaters)which make the narration of a rather painful incidence, 'adhesively' interesting for anyone to read till the end of the blog!

I m glad i came across your blog!

Prasanthi Neeladaran said...

Wow! Thats a lot! I hope he feels better soon.
As always, njoyed the way your described everything that happened and the closure was merely icing.

TC

Prasanthi

Anonymous said...

Very descriptive and moving as always! Whenever things really come to a head or "wherever" :) you get on top of it da. That's what I love in you. Although it meant a postponed holiday this time. Loved the title.

Anonymous said...

OH! Molu u have brought it out beautifully well. As i usually say UR post has to be read along with a dictionary. but in this case i feel i should have a Meteria Medica(iam not sure of the spelling)also with me for reference.
Well done.
Achu

Roopa said...

Ganga: At least, now I can see the funnier side of it too :).

Swetali: Thank you for visiting and the appreciation.

Prasanthi: He is getting better. I am real pro these days, so there is no fun in dressing changes anymore :).

Dee: Don't get too sentimental over it idiot!

Acha: Ha ha. You are exaggerating it! A small spelling error - Materia. I think it means pharmacology.

Anonymous said...

What a write up Roopa! I am grinning. Gloat away girl! ;-)

Prabhu Dutta Das said...

:)

Gloat.. It so reminded me of my good old old-days.. I would literally come home each day battered and bruised from school..

The magic has not left your pen, I see! I am glad for it :)

Gingerbread & Me said...

I thought I had commented but I see, I didn't...
So, did you explain the dressing change to the curious 4 yr old...
LOL

Anonymous said...

Love the way you convert a rough patch into a delightful read!!

Roopa said...

Shail: In fact, I thought the first paragraph resembled your way of writing. Still not that spontaneous of course.

Prabhu: Thank you. We all have stories of bruises, don't we?

Miaow: Not yet. She has almost given up. She just raises her eyebrows these days.

writerzblock: It took a while for the funny aspect of the whole situation to filter in :)

Anonymous said...

Now, that was what I call an assome post!! Must have been confusing to undress to dress and then dress only to undress all over again! But then he had it worse - undress so he can have it undressed, then have it dressed so he can dress up again!

"I sincerely began to wish that I had more than a pair of them – hands, I mean" - Kick ass!

But it must've been tough - I can so relate to lying passively on the bed with your tooshies up in the air in complete submission and surrender... I know...I've been there!!

Roopa said...

Pathe: Wish I had thought of that play of words with dressing and undressing - that was really awesome (to use the less exciting spelling) :). Read your post. That was truly hilarious.

Anonymous said...

Thanks...as you might have noticed, that post was made long time ago - when I had all my problems behind me.:)

Arch said...

M must be one sporting guy!! ;)

man in painting said...

It is difficult..both the position and the process..but nothing can beat that "secret medicine" .Will medical science ever discover that "X-factor" in wound healing?
Thanks for a "postfull" of love.
take care
prayers and wishes
mip

Usha Pisharody said...

Entrancing, the way you write:)

For us it was entertaining, the way you ministering you M, did actually make him better, but I am sure it was a difficult time to go through.

What did you tell the little one finally? :) :)

I do so love the way you bring in the humour even when in dire straits such as these :) :)

Salil said...

Roopa,
Well written.
I guess I have metnioned this in the past - your narrative style is your strength. And what a lovely way of describing the experience; enjoyed it thoroughly.
Cheers,

Reflections said...

LOL this was hilarious....I guess I enjoyed it all the more coz ...ahem we went thru something like this many eons ago:-D.

And
"a curious four-year-old who will stop at nothing to find out what “dressing change” her mom and dad are doing behind closed doors" was the ultimate:-D, LOL, LOL!!!!

Roopa said...

Sal: Thank you.

Reflections: Thank you for visiting my blog. I think we all have such terribly pathetic but extremely funny incidents in our lives.

Geethu said...

Nice one Roopa!
I'm new here. Always eager to read your blogs. Feels like I dont need the library anymore.....