“Snap! went the fox and that was the end of the gingerbread man.” I end the story lamely. I had fielded at least a dozen questions from my 4-year-old by then – “How can the gingerbread man run?” “What is gingerbread?” “Can I make a gingerbread man?” “Can I make him run?” “How can the cow drink tea?” etc. etc. I shushed her each time not because I couldn’t answer the questions, which I might have been able to with staid matter-of-factness, but because I wanted to finish reading yet another fantastical but predictable story.
When she closes the book and runs to ride her bike, I rummage through her rack, leaf through a bunch of books, and ponder – on fairy tales and life and magic and playing god. Granting life to inanimate objects seems to be archetypical in children’s stories – just like our gingerbread man who comes to life and runs out of the oven. Fairy tales are full of them. Take a look at Pinocchio. Gestappo, an average woodcarver, makes a marionette from wood and accidentally gives it life. After many adventures, some of them as tedious as they come, Pinocchio, with his inexplicably morally conscious nose, finally comes of age and becomes a real boy. Thumbelina grows out of a magic seed given by a wise old woman. We have magic oranges that become beautiful maidens, a metal pig who can run when an innocent boy sits on it, a toy tin soldier who falls in love with a paper ballerina, and even an entire clock-work marching up to defend their clock-maker. Even in Cinderella, there is a convenient fairy godmother making horses out of mice and chariots out of pumpkins.
Making inanimate animate is not restricted to children’s stories alone. Victor Frankenstein creates a monster, gives it life, and later pays a heavy price for his irresponsibility. Perhaps an allegorical novel, it nevertheless highlights our preoccupation with playing god. Or take the case of Pygmalion. The statue he carves is so beautiful that he falls in love with it. Cynics of the present day might write it off as an acute case of agalmatophilia (attraction to statues, dolls, etc.), but the fact remains that the statue did come to life because of the sculptor’s devotion.
We have our own Indian equivalent in many legends and myths. A lump of flesh can become a hundred sons and a daughter. A clay statue can transform to a god, a rock can become a beautiful lady by a touch, or trees can turn into young men.
It is intriguing that across cultures and across ages, man has searched, dreamt, and written about creating life and achieving immortality. Is the act of creating life and playing god so entertaining or is it just a rudimentary impulse in man which gives rise to these fantasies? The search for the elixir of life or that elusive philosopher’s stone is ingrained in man’s psyche. A tiniest portion of the elixir or ambrosia or amrut or dancing water or aab-e-hayat, call what you will, will rejuvenate you – nay, make you immortal. Man can be omnipotent. Man can be god.
Where miracles and fairies and magic and potions don’t work, ingenuity might. Life might still be created in a lab from nonlife. If scientists can induce life to a lab-made genome and make it grow and reproduce, how close are we to playing god? Or rather, how far? Can we, as a megalomaniac race, wait that long?
I take out my daughter’s Play-Doh. I make a clay man similar to our gingerbread man, with shining black eyes, a red nose, and a wide grin. I even make two buttons for the coat. I make him stand up and I sit back. I am waiting for him to run.
2 days ago

25 comments:
Yay ! Another blog - another bright spot in my day :)
Playing God ! - Its an addiction - we wonder if we can and what if we could ? Will it be worth it ? What if we could change something ? Would we ? Should we ? A thousand questions were stirred up by this blog ! Aham Brahmasmi....
Keep em coming .....
Nice thoughts...loved the last para :)
Yeah, u did save the best for the last...
:) :)
Wow, Roopa. That was ... I am short of words. Your post was hair-raising. I loved the way you moved from a kid's fairy tale into 'Man playing God'. I think this particular post of yours is exceptional.
Shalini: You know what? I think we mothers are gods in some way. We do give birth to a new life. So yes, I am God :).
Ganga, Rekz: Just an ending to match with the beginning. The whole thing was just a rambling on actually.
Writerzblock: Thank you. Was toying with the idea of man playing god for some time now. And day before, I read the gingerbread man to saanya and then i thought of connecting it up. There are several loose ends in the post though. Didn't think it through.
Hi Roopa,
I just found your blog searching the web for blogs from like-minded people.
I too went on a quest to extend my own life and went looking for the oldest people living among us. One day I found a man whom I fully believe is nearly 2,800 years old and began in earnest to find out from this man his secret to immortality.
If you are interested in my research, check out my main blog at Ben-Abba.com and my soon-to-be released book “Secrets of an Immortal - An Eyewitness Account of 2,800 Years of History”.
Be Well, Live Long, and Prosper!
now THAT was deep ;)
... and i did mean what i said and i think i am about one person away from a publisher of new writers so the networking shouldnt be a problem!!
Roopa:
Loved the transition.
Talking about man playing god, have you heard of man suing god - http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,297121,00.html
Cheers,
Salil
Arch: Thank you thank you dear. But I am still pretty convinced that my skills are mediocre :).
Sal: Read the link you gave me. That was wonderful. Wish we could really sue God now and then...
You have written this in wonderful manner Roopa. It really is worth pondering about... how our fairy tales and epics are filled with inanimate objects coming to life! Lovely ending too.
Incredible post - think this is probably your best so far.
And to add to your thoughts, while we play God and create a man out of gingerbread, we also destroy each other for the most vacuous reasons. Mans mind and natural disasters are the only two means for Nature to keep the species under check I guess. I think our intelligence over other species can also be our biggest weakness.
thats a real neat research if any...and extremely informative..and thanks a ton for some real great feedback! Shall be a lil more careful the next time! :D
Scribblers Inc.
P.S.- The next story is themed around a fairytale...keep guessing! :D
Shail: Thank you.
Pathe: Wow! Yes, true indeed. I think mindless destruction is also an aspect of playing god.
Scribblers Inc: One doesn't need extra research when one has a four-year-old who wants to listen to new stories every night :). You and fairytale!! I am sure the fairies will have fangs :D
The Basic problems of human mind are the same.We may find different answers,create different myths,generate 'realities',and even theoretically 'solve' our problems.But the problems for which we are seeking solutions will remain.Because "seeking"itself creates problems.Mind is the only barrier.
i liked your post.Generating awareness by pulling an image from daily life...like zen
it was wonderful...
wishes to you and your family..
wanted to comment earlier. was busy holidaying though :)
this is a different blog in that in some way you are moving away from your immediate environment and talking philosophy! enjoyed it thoroughly. at the pinnacle of evolution, who else can play god but man!
Do visit here to pick up a something I have for you :)
shall be back to read this one, later :)
Roopa, this is really thought provoking! And so very very informative, especially the way this same kinds of things have been told, right through a cross section of cultures and countries :)
And, at the risk of repeating myself, I must once again tell you how much I love the way you write! From the fairytale to the business of creation, it was such a natural changeover, that one barely noticed, and yet at the same time the subtle humour stayed as fresh and consistently with the post right through! I'm a fan!
MIP: Your comment is what I would call "deep." And real insight. Searching for soluttions does indeed bring to light new problems.
Dee: I love your nonchalant optimism my dear.
Usha: Thank you for a lot of things - for the awards which you are so generous with, for visiting my blog, for your unbelievably encouraging comments, and overall for the genuineness in your kindness :).
oh for a mom like you! :-)
i bet your daughter will grow up to be your best frnd...
Great write. Very very thoughtful. God created man, will we have a 'real' man-made-god? :)
My first visit here. And I'll keep coming back. Till then - keepenning!!
Oreen: Thank you. Amen to that :)
Jagadeesh: Thank you for visiting and thanks a ton for the appreciation. I think we have enough man-made gods around, don't we? :)
Roopa, you have been tagged!!!
You have a way with words! I'll be back to read up the backlog :)
Blog hopped from Shail's. Interesting and profound :)
Loved the last paragraph.
Ella Mentry: I loved the pun in your "name." Thank you for visiting. I do hope to see you back.
Solilo: Thank you. I love any and all appreciation :D
Post a Comment