Friday, January 30, 2009

Unequaled Music

One deceptively sunny morning, where defiant sunlight penetrated through dark matted clouds, mama decided that it was time for her little girl to start learning piano. The sun of course did not have any part to play in the larger scheme of things, other than in perhaps granting a deliberately vivacious mood to mama. She argued to papa that as they already had a piano, all they needed was a teacher to teach it. Mama knew piano was too grandiose a term. What they had in their house was just an old electronic keyboard, a present (or a hand-me-down if you will) from a generous friend, who was rich or ambitious enough to buy the authentic piano – the grandiose one – which had seven octaves, three pedals, and a shining black body. Mama painstakingly counted the five octaves on her dusty keyboard, noted the lack of pedals, and imperceptibly shook her head. But her keyboard was shaped like a piano all right. It had a wooden frame with three wooden legs and even had a top flap which opened on brass hinges. And mama knew that one didn’t look a gift horse in the mouth.

So mama called the piano teacher. She said she wanted her little girl to have personal piano lessons. The teacher was ready to come. They fixed the time and date.

The teacher was a soft-spoken lady. Mama liked her and the way she patiently taught the little girl. So after the first class was over, when the little girl rubbed her flexed thumbs and sore pinkies, and made faces, mama asked the teacher whether she can teach her too. The teacher was a bit surprised and asked why. Mama, perhaps a trifle too enthusiastically, explained that she always wanted to play Beethoven’s Fur Elise and Mozart’s Eine Kleine Nachtmusik. The teacher laughed kindly. Let us start with the C, she said.

For the next two weeks, mama and little girl practised bravely and monotonously the notes of C, D, E, F, G, A, B, C. They tried it in all octaves to break the humdrum, but that was about the only variety they knew. The little girl started carrying a pillow to her practice sessions. Mama tried to sort out the intricacies of semibreves, minims, dotted minims, and crotchets, nursing an almost forgotten, two-decade-old memory of guitar classes, while the little girl took patient naps by her side.

Time to learn a song, the teacher decided after the first two weeks. Mama perked up. Teacher played “Twinkle Twinkle Little Star” quite brilliantly on the old keyboard. And her voice was mellifluous too. If mama was a bit disappointed at the unpretentiousness of the song, she did not show it. The next week saw mama and little girl playing the rhyme ad nauseam much to papa’s consternation. He grumbled that he did not bargain for two cacophonic renderings of a stupid nursery rhyme, or else they could have had another child. Mama asked him to stop sulking and sing along. Papa feigned deafness.

Two weeks went by and a Baa Baa Black Sheep was added to mama’s meager repertoire. She boasted to the teacher that she had played guitar when she was in college. The teacher condescendingly agreed that that training would stand in good stead while playing piano. Mama beamed. Teacher taught her another song – Mary had a Little Lamb. Mama dreamed of being a Chopin.

That evening, papa came in all exhausted from drudging work and there was mama and little girl by the keyboard. Mama was gingerly playing the strains of the newly learnt song and little girl was boisterously singing along – “And everywhere that Mary went, the lamb was sure to go.” Papa kept his laptop on the table and joined in, giving in finally. “He followed her to school one day” – papa sang in an affected tenor. Mama closed her ears and laughed. The little girl danced along. Music is indeed the food of love – even if papa, mama, and little girl did not have a taste for it.

16 comments:

Gingerbread & Me said...

:) :)
Made me feel warm and fuzzy inside..

Anonymous said...

Awww... what a scene you have conjured with your magic words Roopa! :-)
Can I sing along too, 'Mary had a little lamb...

Ganges said...

Nice one, Roopz :)Your words do come alive and take on a life of their own!

Usha Pisharody said...

Yes Sir , Yes Sir... three happy souls :) :)


the final threesome, was warm, cosy, and so beautiful :)

Roopa, I must repeat, ad nauseus, that your narrative skill is exceptional. The gentle humour, the self effacing subtle hints; and the humour, the humour that gently lifts everything along!

Loved it so!

Usha Pisharody said...

lol, typo...

ad nauseum*

Arch said...

superb roopa!!

i suspect i would relate to it more than most people coz i am the world's longest 'beginner' when it came to the guitar...4th std, 7th and then 9th again. Proud to tell you i can play 'mary had a little lamb' if someone woke me up in the middle of the night :p

Roopa said...

Miaow: Was it the nursery rhymes that did it??? I have another rhyme in my kitty too now - Old McDonald had a farm :D

Shail: As I told Rekz, we have graduated to Old McDonald - I want some quacks and moos now :)

Ganga: Thank you dear.

Usha: Your extremely flattering comments make me read through my stuff again and I realize you must be saying all that just because of the goodness of your heart :)

Arch: We should have a duet sometime..you on the guitar and I on the piano :D.

Anonymous said...

I should go one step further. Music is Love ie. God.

You always end ur post very well.I liked this one very much - outstanding.

I think papa can sing a bit.

Anonymous said...

Oh Roopa, that was so beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. Mama's words have left this admirer quite speechless.

ella mentry said...

What Miaow said. Just what I needed to read on a cold winter morning.

Also, you inspire me to write more often.

Salil said...

Roopa,
Bach once said : "It's easy to play any musical instrument: all you have to do is touch the right key at the right time and the instrument will play itself."
Loved the narration and the title too. One day, probably we will hear of the 'musical M family' touring US!
'He grumbled that he did not bargain for two cacophonic renderings of a stupid nursery rhyme, or else they could have had another child.' - lol
Keep them coming.
Cheers,
Sal

Roopa said...

Acha: One papa knows another :).

Writerzblock: Thank you Pal. You are so generous with your appreciation :).

Ella Mentry: And you should write more often. You are great at it.

Sal: With the wacky family that I have, the wackiest being mama herself, I don't think I have to look elsewhere for inspiration. But my my! From where do you get these quotes!! Do you memorize them all or google them out??

Anonymous said...

:)) Sweet and cute like our family. I must say that you write very well. Weaving a little story beautifully!

Usha: Your typo. That was hilarious too :)).

Anonymous said...

Loved your title (although the novel from where it was derived was highly forgettable I guess, cause I just don't remember any part of it). Loved the little bits of humour - molu with the pillow, the grumbling papa... Evoked scenes from Calvin and Hobbes - you know the ones I mean!

Roopa said...

Solilo: Thank you. I gather you have a 4-year-old too. And like all mothers, you must be overreaching too :), and then falling flat of course :D.

Dee: Ha ha, at last a comment on the title :D. I added an "-ed" to it and thought it quite brilliant of me heh heh. I don't remember the novel too, but it wasn't bad I guess. Yep, I know the C&H ones you mean.

Anonymous said...

Thanks I have just started learning to play guitar online at http://tinyurl.com/co973y and need all the help I can get.