Friday, February 13, 2009

Hand in hand

I see your hand resting on the smooth cushioned couch – pale ivory on olive green – almost limp, but like a wild cat on the prowl, waiting and watching. You are hairy, I think, perhaps for the millionth time. The hairs near your knuckles curve around in a matted heap and they are subtly alluring. I inch my hand closer and I compare mine to yours – a harsher brown to your ivory, older looking with spidery blue veins and whiter nails. Your hand still waits in hushed confidence.

I rub my pinky slightly against your thumb, an invitation to touch. I comb out those wiry hairs and trace their length. You flex your thumb straightening the creases, an almost undetectable pulling back. I am not disheartened but rather emboldened. I coquettishly draw lines on the back of your hand with my index finger. The nail is slightly long, not manicured, and it makes a faint grating sound against your dry skin. With a sudden shake, your hand makes a fist and lies still in brooding dominance.

A little impatient, I hold your wrist firmly with my left hand and open your fingers one by one. Your little finger eases open without resistance, teasing me to move on. I prize your other fingers open too and each one leads me on, revealing just a little more, like a tantalizing treasure hunt. And my hand, the covetous hunter, the greedy pig, bumbles along, intoxicated with success and tripping over itself in eagerness. Your hand waits in mute power.

Like smoothing out a crumbled piece of paper, I iron out your hand with mine. Your hand is still obstinately lifeless, my treasure still hidden, and I am desperate. I tickle it. I pinch it. I shake it. I squeeze it. Your hand still taunts soundlessly. I am dejected. I finally give up. I place your hand quietly back on your lap and withdraw mine slowly.

And then you pounce. In one fell swoop, my hand is engulfed in yours, your broad palm rubbing the back of my hand in an almost indecent show of strength and closeness. You interlock my fingers with yours and give a tight squeeze. It is as warm as a caress, as intense as a kiss. I shudder with pleasure. Come with me, you say. My hand is ensconced in yours and happily your slave. Hand in hand, we walk, intimate and loved, in loquacious silence.

(This is in response to a tag by Usha. Sorry for taking my own sweet time with it, Usha. But then, what better time to respond to a tag on “holding hands” than Valentine’s eve?)

19 comments:

Usha Pisharody said...

My dear dear Roopa!

This is so tantalizingly awesome :) Honest! I loved the way you led gently, then forcefully, despairingly, each touch, each demand so tangibly drawn with words :) That was simply mindblowing! If just that act of reaching out, so coquettishly, demandingly and then so intimately could have been painted, you have :)

Thank you.. and yes, it is the perfect time to have shared it!

Happy Valentine's Day to you, and yours :) :)

My My My... I am still quite open mouthed at the dexterity and the fluency of your expression :)

Anonymous said...

Oh WOW!!! Roopa, that was some superb writing!! Oh WOW WOW WOW!!

Anonymous said...

simply awesome....

Sashu... said...

awww...so tender and so beautifully written!! roopa, u hv a fan here! :)

Roopa said...

Usha: Thank you so much. I am just a bumbling kid when compared to you when you speak of dexterity of expression :).

Shail: Thank you. One blush for each wow.

Santhi: Thanks a ton for being a regular visitor here.

Sashu: Thank you Sashu, for visiting and for your generous appreciation :).

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Arch said...

You raise expectations with every post and manage to exceed them every time. Way to go roopa!

Ganges said...

Phew, Roopz! that was awesomely awesome!!!

Roopa said...

Arch: You are making me scared!! Actually, I was kinda dry idea-wise, thankfully remembered the tag :).

Ganga: Thank you dear.

Anonymous said...

Roops, that was intoxicating! You are one of the best writers I've ever seen. But I do have a complaint. A big one - I wish you'd post more often!!

man in painting said...

Wonderful!WOW!
Surreal.
lovely.. and congrats
do write more..
wishes..
take care

ella mentry said...

If this piece is an indicator of anything at all, then it is this: you have a whole book in you. Write it :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, and by the way...this thought is still nagging me...

'What happened next?'

;-))))))))

Prasanthi Neeladaran said...

Nice post as always Roopa! I sit down during my break time to eyeball your blog for any new posts and when I see a new one - Ofcourse I am all excited! The simple reason being you sure are one of the most gifted writers I've come across to date. Keep blogging more often!!!!!

Roopa said...

Writerzblock: Thank you so much. I always blame lack of time for not writing enough. But I think it is just an escapism. The fact is I am too lazy when it comes to creativity. And, what happened next is strictly confidential :D

MIP: Thank you.

Ella Mentry: Thanks a ton for the confidence in me. I wish I had the same. Perhaps I might write a book some day. But I am a victim of procrastination and self-doubts most of the time.

Prasanthi: Some posts just click I guess :). Thank you for the generous appreciation. Still wondering whether I deserve it.

Gingerbread & Me said...

You quite took my breath away Roopa... Simply brilliant...
To be honest, I am a wee bit envious ... :) :)
Keep it comming girl!!!

Roopa said...

Rekz: Thank you dear. It is entirely a fictitious account :) ....so you needn't be envious of the feelings, they might be exaggerated :D.

Salil said...

Roops,
Sorry for being late.
This is superlative stuff. As you blog on tags, I tag on to your blogs.
I agree with Ella, you should write a book. Pookuttys of the world beware, here come's Roopa!
Cheers,
Salil

nisha meledath said...

Roopa chechi... This was a wonderful writing... Almost breathlessly beautiful spinning of words.. I wish the wirter hidden inside your being thinks seriously about getting a book published.. As far as I can say : I will be a dedicated buyer.. so you have a client to start with..