Saturday, February 7, 2009

Words are all she has....

A four-year-old’s take on things. Sincere effort has been made to stick to the conversations as they were spoken, but a little leeway has to be given to inadvertent changes from the original, mainly due to limitations of hastily jotted records and a truant memory.

On pets:
Mom: I want a dog, a golden retriever, that is my dream.
Dad: I wouldn’t mind a fishbowl.
Daughter: I want a small alien, sweet and cuddly.

Huh what!

On beauty:
Daughter: I want you to wear that pink thing on your cheeks and that blue thing on your eyes. Mothers look beautiful that way.
Mom: I don’t think so.
Daughter: Yes, they do. All mothers wear them but you don’t.

Sigh!

On pretend play:
Daughter: Pretend this is your hand.
Mom: This is my hand.
Daughter: Pretend this is hot water.
Mom: That is hot water. (Some decibels higher) What are you going to do?
Daughter: Hot water doesn’t know this is your hand.
Mom: Put that hand shower down!

On earth:
Mom: (In a fit of love) You make my world go around, do you know that?
Daughter: World like earth?
Mom: (Rolling eyes) Yes.
Daughter: What is good earth?
Mom: Earth where there are good people.
Daughter: What is bad earth? Earth where there are bad people?
Mom: Yes.
Daughter: And super earth?
Mom: Enough.
Daughter: If you have anti-fairies, it will be anti-earth?

What the heck!!

On time:
Daughter: We are just in time.
Mom: What is just in time?
Daughter: 11 minutes and an hour.

Oh yeah?

On a pea
Mom: “Is she a real princess?” asked the prince.
Daughter: What happened to the pea?
Mom: “Yes,” said the queen, “she is a real princess.”
Daughter: Is the pea okay?
Mom: Are you listening to the story?
Daughter: Yes, yes, I am.
Mom: Tell me what is happening.
Daughter: There is a pea below all the mat-e-re-ss. Is the pea okay?
Mom: (Sigh) I guess it is.
Daughter: Okay. Fine.

On dentists
Daughter: I know how den-tist pull teeth out.
Mom: You do?
Daughter: He takes a long string.
Mom: And?
Daughter: He ties one end to the teeth.
Mom: Tooth.
Daughter: Okay tooth. The other end to the door knob.
Mom: (Eyes widening)
Daughter: And he closes the door. Bang.
Mom: Who told you this?
Daughter: I see it on TV. I want to go to a dentist too.

No way!

On moms and candies
Daughter: You are the best mom in the whole wide world.
Mom: (Gushing) Thank you darling.
Daughter: And this is the best candy in the whole wide world.

Okay. I get it.

On birthdays and wishes
Daughter: I want my birthday to be in January.
Mom: But you know when your birthday is, right?
Daughter: August. But I want it in January.
Mom: But you can never change your birthdays dear.
Daughter: I am just wishing. I wish my birthday is in January.
Mom: Oh yes, you can wish for many things.
Daughter: I wish I had wings also.
Mom: Me too (sigh).

On skin
Daughter: I don’t like my dark skin.
Mom: Black is beautiful, my dear.
Daughter: But I want to be fair like my friends.
Mom: But that is okay. Look, I am dark too.
Daughter: I want to be like you (hugs) but I want to be white.

Hoping she will understand some day….

19 comments:

Usha Pisharody said...

Roopa, your daughter is adorable... [I know what you will say to this, so is her alien, and the goldfish... :D!], and incidentally so are you, as a mom, and a writer :)

Just loved these takes, On Matters of Much Importance, to both, Moms and Daughters :)

I wish my kids were little too :) :)

[Second thoughts, I wonder if that is a good idea; in time I find those grey cells which used to be of some use with them have been depleting faster than the ozone layer over the poles... ;)]

gypsy said...

:)

Echoes said...

:) love to read the way you write!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh Roopa that was too good! Eleven minutes and an hour??!!! ROFLOL. That took the cake. Well I will keep an eye open for that cute and cuddly alien. I'd like one of them too!! ;-) Golden Retrievers are passe it seems!
Enjoyed this post immensely!!

Anonymous said...

That was hilarious... kids can say the just about anything and get away with it (followed by a lot of admiration as well!). Please, do give a kiss to Sania from me (isn't that her name? I remember Deepa gushing over her when she was born :-))).

Anonymous said...

Ha..ha..good ones. I think our daughters are same age. Don't they talk too much? :))

The other day when I was singing 'Masakkali' a bit too many times, mine asked me to stop because it was too 'irrting'. Yes! irriting not irritating.

Roopa said...

Usha: Matters of much importance - I loved it :). I know what you mean by the gray cells part. I feel more or less the same.

d gypsy: Thank you for visiting.

Santhi chechi: Thank you for commenting. You are usually a silent reader :).

Shail: I am still trying to figure out what is 11 minutes and an hour :D. And yes, golden retrievers are no match for aliens.

Writerzblock: Saanya is her name, just a different spelling :). And the kiss is given :D

Solilo: Ha ha. Just jot all those down so that you don't forget. It makes for a pretty readable post :D

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Loved this post. Wanted it to go on and on. "Anti-earth" what will they come up with next!!!

Loved the one about the pea and molu's concern for it :)

Ganges said...

Nice one! Kids (and dads!) can come up with some great stuff :)

Arch said...

i would seriously pay good money to listen to s and j have a conversation ;) loved the pea plea :)

man in painting said...

Nice.
Very very nice.
They find joy in everything...
wonderful post..
wishes..
mip

Roopa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Roopa said...

Dee: My personal favorite I guess is the alien. Her faith that anything can happen in this world is almost infectious.

Ganga: Don't even start me on dads :D.

Arch: I would too. We should certainly plan a get together, at least for the laughs.

MIP: Thank you so much.

Prasanthi Neeladaran said...

I so enjoy all your posts!!! All along while reading the post - I felt like I was watching you both have your conversations.....Such lil things from our kids can mean the world! Its simply amazing! Your daughter sounds adorable too..For now I can wait for T to start talking:)

Punvati said...

Too cute :D

Anindita said...

This is the first time I am here.. And You cracked me up with this post! :)

Will definitely be coming her more often!! :)

Jayadev said...

Enjoyed the mom - daughter exchanges.
Haven't read the longer articles yet.

J

SINDHU said...

hey chechi, just loved reading them...........