If you are not ready to lose at least 500 hairs from your otherwise fast-depleting hair treasury, think twice before sitting down for that tight bunching up of hair to the left side of the head, where it will resist gravitational pull with the help of a bottle of mousse, hair spray, and at least two-dozen pins. The immediate side effects are a splitting headache, a crick in the neck because of all that unbalanced weight, and a permanently arched right eyebrow. And of course, the lost hairs.
Never forget to wear your bangles when you dance on stage. There is nothing as unsightly as a pair of unadorned wrists amidst all the finery.
Alta (the red ink worn on hands and feet for dance) runs and smudges when you sweat. Permanent markers in red also have the same propensity. There are two options – don’t sweat or don’t touch your white costume when your hand sweats. Or you will have a white costume with red blotches. Yes, it does disguise your cracked feet and your callused hands to perfection. But don’t forget to tell your four-year-old that it is not blood.
Backstage managers are angels in human disguise. There is obviously no other explanation to their endless toiling in the darkness of the backstage – wiping sweat off your brow, arranging props, straightening jewelry, running to get Pocari Sweat for you, listening to your constant grumbling about your hair, costume, and lights, and a thousand other unlabeled tasks – for absolutely no personal gain.
Resist the urge to stop your dance and wave when you hear a familiar trill from one of the front rows, “acha, that is amma in blue” (Dad, that is mom in blue). Remember there are 300 others watching you.
Also resist the temptation to wonder whether your husband has captured you on camera when you are posing as a sinuous vine – what you consider as your best posture in the show. You will forget your next dance move and that can end in disaster.
Always remember it takes huge talent to produce a show and only a modicum of it to dance in it – especially when you are the only adult classical dancer (self-proclaimed) other than your teacher in a 50-mile radius. Also the audience who later tell you that your dance was brilliant are genuinely nice people who are either myopic or do not want to use the word “average.” You know this because you have already seen the dance video that your husband has meticulously recorded and you know that your dance was not “brilliant”.
Nevertheless, at the end of it all, you enjoy yourself tremendously. The huge success of the show somehow rubs a little on you too. And there will be some things that always make you laugh. In my case, it was this press coverage that we got for the show. I reproduce the exact quotes:
“…..with the melodies of the percussion ensemble interspersed with couple of haunting songs sung by two ladies.” (Our male singer, who has a rich baritone, went into paroxysms of frustration reading it. We are still looking for the ghosts of the two ladies who sang haunting songs.)
“…..performers took turns dancing to the music, playing with the metallic ringing produced by the bracelets on their red-striped feet.”
That alta always spelled disaster!!

21 comments:
You got style, lady... and I don't just mean your dancing (which I am positive is not as "average" as you seem to consider it:)); obviously I mean you manner of articulation! How beautifully you took us through the preps and the dance itself :)
*sigh* I wish I could dance, especially the Mohiniyattom, which is what you are describing, aren't you. Am in the land that gifted this form, perhaps the most graceful of all, along with the Odissi :) So, just the fact that you're there, performing, Wow! Kudos on that :)[But then at 45+ I guess it is a bit early to start, lol, and when you have a disc prolapse - a few actually - it might not be worth it at all... lolzz] Still, I wish I could.. :)
Now, you had me smiling all through the read, laughing at the extracts from the Press Coverage... and really delighting in the experience shared by you!
But don’t forget to tell your four-year-old that it is not blood.
Charmed by that.. :)And and the rest of it too.. :) Lovely post! And good to know that it went off well!!
Thank you for your confidence in me Usha :). But you see, I have watched that video!
And yes, I was talking about mohiniyattam. we danced both mohiniyattam and bharatanatyam but the costume was of mohiniyattam as there was no time to change from one to the other.
A laugh a minute - this one. I am glad i didnt realize you guys came on without bangles. It would have nagged me till the next appearance.
That and a couple of other things made for some funny memories though.
The press review is one I dont think i will ever forget - i have to frame this one. And I really had to plead with Shrikanth to sing for this show - imagine that!
Oh well... till next time!
totally enjoyed reading this one roopa!! :)
bad idea to watch video post the show :p we are never good enough for ourselves!
But totally envy you the breathless, nervous excitement and energy of a live show.
alta...the word brought back echoes of a bong root that I so seem to be losing all the time!!thanks! :)
Scribblers Inc.
P.S.-needless to say, the prose has been done up with the finesse only a person dabbling in the arts would have. And you surprised me with Dr Faustus!! :)
janaki: i am sure shrikanth would think a thousand times before agreeing to sing for us again :)
arch: yes, i do admit there is nothing to beat a live show, especially one with live music.
scribblers inc: bong root? now whatever is that?? and of course, thank you for your appreciation, Dr. Faustus ;).
I have always loved your videos, you know that. Now I loved reading about it. In your self-deprecating way (which actually comes out well in writing, and thank god you are not like that in real life), you really made me picturise the whole event. The best lesson learnt however would be to forget lessons learnt, you need the excitement next time around too.
As always it is a great pleasure to read you..When I was reading the book"eats shoots and leaves"I remembered your blog.We need great discipline to domesticate any language..you just do it naturally..
I was expecting a lot of editing from you in my last posting..But you just let me go..still I know the errors I make..
great theme...great style..
wishes to you..
mip
It almost felt like I was part of your backstage prep & that I attended your performance. Beautiful writing for a readers mind.
P.S: I am sure the press was right on the money - Dont quite buy the "average" part.
TC
Dee: If I forget to wear bangles next time around, it wouldn't be just excitement we would be talking about :D!
MIP: Thank you thank you (taking a bow) although i don't really deserve all the praise. Your last post was simply pristine MIP. And who minds a little slip here and there when you convey such transcendental stuff!! I am waiting for the sequel of the silver-legged stilt walkers.
Prasanthi: Thank you. If you were here, you would have confirmed the "average" part. So thank god you were not here :D
Roopa,
Beatifully written, but we don't expect anything less from you. Though you did let us down by putting on an average dance performance :-)
And Bharatanatyam in a Mohiniattam costume; now that is a fusion I have not heard of.
Do you know what I first checked in the photos - whether both the 'chilankas' were there! But then you did not have the bangles. Can you ever be fully attired for a dance? :-)
How can I leave without a joke - do you know why cows are such poor dancers? Becuase they have two left feet :-)
Cheers,
Salil
PS : Crick and paroxysm, did you say? Now you better own up co-authoring 'that' book!
You're a star!!!
Sal: Ha! I was feeling a little down when I did not receive your humorous take on the whole situation :). And no comments on crick and paroxysm!
Writerzblock: If you remember, I considered myself as old as the stars in a previous post :D. But, thank you :).
I am cowering under the minute details!
Hats Off!
As usual, your post left me quite speechless and lost in memories of my own...
Such fluid writing....It evokes very strong images in the mind's eye...
Prabhu: You can get up now ....until the next barrage :D. Thank you for visiting :).
miaow: Thank you dear. Where have you been? Your silence was disheartening :(
Nice one Roopz...as u rightly said, unless u catch it immediately these thoughts'll just vanish...but you sure captured them right in time :)
U know us moggies...we go on a romp every once in a while just to whiff the catnip...but never stray too far... :) :) :)
Hee hee..that's a good one :-)
Wow, Roopa when can I see you dance?? I am taken back to my childhood, to kuchipudi days. Sigh! Ages ago, dancing was a passion that I never got to indulge. For that matter, even music was lost to me. I ended up with ECONOMICS. Ugh!!
Usha has said most of what I wanted to say, except of course no disc prolapse as yet! ;-)
Keep dancing Twinkle Toes!!
Post a Comment