I walked into a salon a little bravely this time because I presumed I have mastered the language enough not to be a guinea pig to an ambitious hairstylist’s restless fingers. After shampooing, again one of those heavenly experiences, I sat down and looked confident.
The hairstylist materialized out of nowhere with a trolley of dangerous-loo
king equipment. I looked at him in the mirror and inadvertently let out a gasp. I had an Emo character straight out of some hardcore punk band. He stared at me quizzically through his visible left eye. His right eye was quite hidden behind all that sleekly brushed bang of hair. Weren’t his T-shirt and jeans a bit too tight? Would their seams burst under the strain? How well can he cut hair seeing through just one eye? I wondered, a trifle panicky. He smiled beatifically though.“Saya mau gunting.” (I want haircut)
“Style apa?” (What style?)
“Mau layer Pak. Tapi sedikit pendek. Saya tidak mau panjang.” (Okay. I will quit showing off my vernacular prowess. What I told him was that I wanted my hair cut in layer, a little short and not long.)
He set to work. I busied with a magazine, skimming through impossibly thin models sporting quite abhorrent hairstyles.
I looked up hearing a sympathetic clicking of the tongue.
“A lot of your hair is white,” he said dramatically.
“I know that, you dummy.” I muttered.
“You want to color your hair?” He asked hopefully.
I said a definitive no. I sulked. I didn’t obviously like that gray hair comment.
He went about his task without offering anymore comments. I risked a glance at the mirror and again let out a gasp. My hair was too short and standing up at all ends!
“My hair is too short!” I cried.
“Madam wanted it short,” he countered.
“Stop cutting,” I ordered, my voice bordering on hysterical.
He stopped. “One-eyed moron,” I cursed under my breath, which was quite unlike me. I usually reserve the choicest epithets to swear at myself.
Seemingly quite oblivious to my recalcitrant state of mind, he plugged the dryer and began blow-drying each hair of mine painstakingly. I again submerged into the obnoxious magazine, vowing not to resurface again.
“Madam hair is very thick,” he offered placatingly, after a while.
“Hmmm,” I was still non-conciliatory. “It falls terribly.”
“It is still very thick,” he affirmed.

I thawed a little.
After about half an hour into styling, he switched off the dryer. I forced myself to look up. I had two fringes on either side which he was proprietarily arranging to perfection. If I had looked like a poodle after my last haircut, I looked like an Afghan hound now. I creased my eyebrows.
“Madam is beautiful, this hairstyle is good,” he gushed.
Do you think so? I inwardly asked.
I smiled. I squinted at the mirror again. Maybe he can see what I can’t see. Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder, I thought conveniently. My universal bonhomie returned and I sauntered out of the salon after parting with an exorbitant tip. And if my styled bangs lost a little lissomeness by the time I reached home, predicting what lay in the immediate future for my hair, I did not blame my Emo man.

22 comments:
:) :)
Hilarious, as always! And what are the odds....I had a hair-cut just today!!!
LOL, reminds me of my eyebrow experience!!!...
And the moggies want pictures of the Afghan Hound....
purrttty purrrr-leaaaseee Roopa!!!
:) :) :)
Read the hair raising post too.. :D
And this one is just as good! Make for v entertaining reading, though of course it must have been a rather trying experience, no matter the compliments you received in the end :D!!!
And still we do it, and still we do..!!!!!!
http://rambleononon.blogspot.com/2008/11/corridors-of-time.html
Tagged you there! Do try it, if, when you feel like it :)
Arch: :)
writerzblock: well, we all need out haircuts. i am sure you didn't have this harrowing an experience though :D.
miaow!!!: no way!! this afghan hound now looks like it has had a nightmare, after the straightening and blow-drying effect has worn off. i am even thinking of wearing a scarf around for a few days :D.
Usha: Oh yes, it was a bad one. It is even worse now, what with my hair spiking up like porcupine quills! about the tag, i will definitely get to it :).
Moggies to Afghan Hound...Moggies to Afghan Hound...
Next time ask EMO man to teach you how to style it...The cut doesnt matter as much as knowing what to do with the hair!!!....
Over & Out Afghan Hound....
Hi Roopa,
You mentioned harrowing experience. Just wrote about mine, inspired by yours!! And added a link to yours.
Cheers..Pallavi
Wow Afghan Hound!!! Oh you must look so cuuute!! :D
lovely!!!!!!!!!!!!! i juz had a similar experience...n mah hair still ain't looking good :)
OMG!!!!!!!!! I laughed so much while reading this post. The best part was "Afghan hound":) Very much enjoyed it. I am sure the new hair do looks good.....TC
Ahh lady Ogden Nash.. One went to the dentist and the other to the salon!
But both came out with enriching words recapitulating the microcosm :)
Miaow: I wonder why stylists in indonesia all have curious hair styles themselves!! Going by the styles they sport, I would rather not know what to do with my hair :D
Shail: Woof woof, wag wag.
Sashu: With fellow sufferers around, I feel a lot consoled :). Thank you for visiting.
Prasanthi: Following the advice of a godsent co-blogger, I have started applying mousse to my hair since yesterday, it does calm down my hair a little bit :D.
Prabhu: Lady Ogden Nash!! I quite enjoy that epithet :). And you words are enriching too :D
"2 on top, 1 for the sides" - is about the longest conversation I have ever had with a hair dresser. The fun am missing in life! :(
haha, enjoyed while reading roopa
K: The codes you men use!! Now whatever does that mean?
Sagari: Thank you for visiting.
Got something for you on the new space I have.. :) The link is on A Quest.. :) When time permits :)
This is hilarious. Like Ive mentioned before, my haircut experiences are always traumatic - for me as well as the barber. we both have trouble sleeping that night. Strange coincidence, but last Sunday I had a particularly terrible experience. Before they could take off the straightjacket of cloth that was asphyxiating me, I had told them to hide all sharp obects and have the barber go in hiding. This was new barber who didnt know what he was cutting into err getting into :P
real cool that you were able to make a repeat experience an interesting read...
i had to share these quotes i saw with you -
A hair in the head is worth two in the brush. ~Oliver Herford
Gray hair is a blessing - ask any bald man. ~Author Unknown
and this one was simply brilliant -
It is foolish to tear one's hair in grief, as though sorrow would be made less by baldness. ~Cicero
JustPathe: You have been absconding for some time now! Welcome back! In fact, when I wrote this post, I was thinking of you and what you would have to share. Now I know ;)
Janaki: Loved the quotes :D.
Hilarious, Roopz :) Hairdressers can create havoc even with decently malleable hair...i can imagine if it's a little frizzy!
Not really absconding - I have just moved home and I have no broadband, my good old table is not mine anymore, and my brain's got drained. So you see some of the important things needed to be active on here are all compromised. But then, if you are familiar with my posts, its easy to see you dont need broad band nor brains to make Pathe posts. You just need time - a few minutes of babbling and poking the keys. I shall return soon!!
Post a Comment